Vineyard

First planted in 1945 by a local Italian vigneron, and then purchased and expanded by Brown Brothers in 1950, Virago Vineyard has a long viticultural history, in Australian terms.  Unfortunately, only the terracing remained from the original vineyards, our two thousand Nebbiolo vines were planted in 2007. Virago Vineyard is planted on a moderately inclined, north-west facing slope at an altitude of 270 metres and consists of a combination of five different Lambia clones on one hectare. The nebbiolo vines were planted by hand, and all pruning, trimming, fruit-thinning, soil tilling and picking is also done by hand each year to ensure a low yield of the highest quality fruit.